A CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE I CAN EAT? YIPPEE! Recipe from Everyday Happy Herbivore.
Servings: 1 mug cake
- 4 tbs. whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tbs. brown sugar (I use dark brown)
- 2 tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- dash of ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tbs. plant-based milk (I use unsweetened almond)
- 1-2 drops vanilla extract
- 1 to 3 tbs. vegan chocolate chips, however little or much you prefer (find the highest cocoa % you can)
- Optional topping add-ons (put on after you microwave!): banana slices, raspberries, blueberries, cherries, or other fruit of your choice
Chocolate-Banana mug cake variation: Reduce the applesauce to 3 tbs. and add a mashed banana (pulse in food processor with all wet ingredients if you want it thoroughly combined). Follow the rest of the normal directions.
In a small bowl whisk all the dry ingredients, except for the chocolate chips.
In another small bowl whisk all the wet ingredients.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. It should have a cake-batter-like consistency; if it seems too dry, add a couple extra tbs. of applesauce. To make this extra chocolatey you can add a tbs. of chocolate chips in the mix, or wait and put them on top later. Or both!
Pour the batter into a coffee cup or ramekin. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and shake the cup slightly to let them “settle” into the batter.
Microwave the cake for 3 minutes (at 1,000 watts) – adjust the timing for your own microwave 🙂