I recently picked up a copy of Everyday Happy Herbivore because I saw it was listed as an oil-free vegan recipe book! Hooray for more wfpb-friendly recipe books! I spotted this strawberry spinach salad and, as I’m a sucker for strawberry salads, I decided this was the first recipe I had to make. Bonus points for being simple and quick to make!
WOW is the Dijon dressing amazing! It brings the whole salad together. I was skeptical about such a vinegar-heavy dressing with dijon mustard on top of strawberries and beans, but it’s fantastic! Skip using whatever your normal dressing is and give this one a try!
Servings: enough for one person, add a little extra of all the ingredients if this is all you’re eating for your meal
- Balsamic-Dijon vinaigrette (see below)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup canned white beans (cannellini, great northern, navy, or garbanzo–I prefer cannellini or great northern)
- 1 tbs. chopped pecans or walnuts (I think almond slices would be fine too)
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbs. water
- about 1 tsp. agave nectar, but add to taste
Whisk all of the vinaigrette ingredients together. Do a taste-test to see if you like it. If it’s too tart from the vinegar for your tastes, add a tiny bit of agave at a time until it reaches a flavor you like.
Place the spinach in a bowl and add all remaining ingredients on top. Drizzle the dressing generously over the salad.